Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for the purpose of establishing an official record of the acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth.

The official record is known as the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). It is not a birth certificate, but is proof that the child was a U.S. citizen at birth. The U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya can only issue a CRBA for American children born in Indonesia. Also all citizenship applicants are seen by appointment only. Please make an appointment here.

For more information, please go to the U.S. Department of State's Birth Abroad webpage.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) is only available if the American citizen child is under 18 and outside of the U.S.

You MUST present the following (this list is not all-inclusive and we may request further evidence as necessary) in order to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad:

  • Your child;
  • Completed application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad form DS-2029;
  • Child's official Indonesian birth certificate, stating the child's full name, both parents' names (if married), and the mother's name if born out of wedlock;
  • If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, or, if the child was born out of wedlock, the American citizen parent must complete and submit The Affidavit of Parentage and Physical Presence
  • Proof of Parent's U.S. citizenship (U.S. Passport, Naturalization Certificate, or Consular Report of Birth Abroad);
  • Proof of parent's marriage (if married);
  • Divorce decrees or death certificates terminating any prior marriages of the parents;
  • Evidence of relationship between the parents (photos together, photos during the pregnancy, copies of passport pages showing presence in country at the time of conception, etc.);
  • Any document not in English must be accompanied by a signed and dated translation completed by a certified translator ("I certify that this is a true and complete translation from x language to English");
  • Fee of $100 payable in Indonesian Rupiah

In support of the Affidavit of Parentage and Physical Presence, school transcripts, rental agreements, W-2 forms and pay stubs, etc. may be submitted as evidence of time spent in the United States prior to the birth of the child. In order to submit the Consular Report of Birth Abroad Application, one American citizen parent must appear at the Consulate to sign the application forms in the presence of a Consular Official.  When the father is an American Citizen and the mother is a foreign national, and the couple is not married, the American father (unless deceased) must agree in writing to provide financial support for the child until the child reaches the age of 18 years.

Additional Requirements for a Child's First Passport Your child is not required to apply for a passport at the same time as the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, but many applicants choose to do so to save a later trip to the consulate. If you wish to submit both applications on the same day, please bring:

  • Your child;
  • If the child is under 16, both parents must appear at the Consulate and sign the passport application form;
  • The DS-11 passport application form;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship: a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship or Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • Passport application fee payable in Indonesian Rupiah;
  • Two front view, identical 2"x2" color photos on a white background taken within the past 6 months;
  • Passport application fee of $105 in Indonesian Rupiah equivalent. 

It takes approximately two weeks to get a passport outside of the U.S. There is no expedited passport service for a higher fee as is offered inside the U.S. Please visit the passport page of this web site for additional passport-related information. 

Applying for a Social Security Number

Many American citizen parents apply for a Social Security Number at the same time they apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and a U.S. passport.   The application form may be accessed by clicking here.  Please read the instructions before filling out the form.

NOTE: For children born in Indonesia, a Birth Certificate issued by the Civil Registry (Kantor Catatan Sipil) is the official, legal documentation of birth.