Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Other Services

Absentee ballots: U.S. citizens vote according to the laws of their state or territory of domicile. The federal government, including the U.S. State Department, does not register absentee voters and the Consulate is not a voting station. To get an absentee ballot please follow the links for your state or territory at Federal Voting Assistance Program.

Affordable Care Act: U.S. citizens living abroad are generally subject to the same individual shared responsibility provision as U.S. citizens living in the United States. Starting in 2014, the individual shared responsibility provision calls for each individual to have minimum essential coverage (MEC) for each month, qualify for an exemption, or make a payment when filing his or her federal income tax return. However, U.S. citizens or residents living abroad for at least 330 days within a 12 month period are treated as having MEC during those 12 months and thus will not owe a shared responsibility payment for any of those 12 months. Also, U.S. citizens who qualify as a bona fide resident of a foreign country for an entire taxable year are treated as having MEC for that year.

All U.S. citizens are subject to the individual shared responsibility provision as are all permanent residents and all foreign nationals who are in the United States long enough during a calendar year to qualify as resident aliens for tax purposes. Foreign nationals who live in the United States for a short enough period that they do not become resident aliens for federal income tax purposes are not subject to the individual shared responsibility payment even though they may have to file a U.S. income tax return. The IRS has more information available on when a foreign national becomes a resident alien for federal income tax purposes. Learn more here.

For general questions about the Act, see the dedicated ACA website operated byU.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The HHS website includes a link to information about whether U.S. citizens residing abroad are subject to ACA. The Health Insurance Marketplace, sometimes known as the Health Insurance Exchange, is a new way to find quality health coverage. To be eligible for health coverage through the Marketplace, you must live in the United States; must be a U.S. citizen or national (or be lawfully present) and can't be currently incarcerated.

For tax issues related to ACA, see the ACA page within the IRS website. The IRS site provides further links/webpages, depending on whether you are an individual, employer, or other organization. For more information, see theQuestion and Answer page for Individuals.

Arrests: We visit Americans arrested or imprisoned in Indonesia to monitor their general welfare. We inform U.S. persons according to the wishes of the detainee due to privacy laws. Please contact us anytime to report the arrest of an American.  After normal business hours, call the Consulate Duty Officer at 62-81-1334-183; dialing from within Indonesia call (081)-1334-183. We cannot intervene in immigration or civil disputes and cannot act as a detainee's legal advisor.

Attorneys: We offer a List of Attorneys.  We assume no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department of State or the U.S. Consulate. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information in the list on professional credentials, areas of expertise and language ability are provided directly by the lawyers; the Embassy is not in a position to vouch for such information. You may receive additional information about the individuals on the list by contacting the local bar association or the local licensing authorities.

Child Abduction: Please see this Travel.State.Gov and also contact the U.S. State Department's Office of Children's Issues workdays, 8:15 am-5:00 pm EST, telephone 202-736-9090 or fax 202-736-9133.

Customs Duties and Import Restrictions: Please call 800-529-4410 or visit U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Death: We notify a deceased American's next of kin and, upon receipt of instructions and funds from the next of kin, help arrange either local burial or return of the remains and effects to the U.S. We obtain the local death certificate and use it to prepare a Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad.  Please call us anytime to report the death of an American citizen.  After normal business hours, call the Consulate Duty Officer at 62-81-1334-183; dialing from within Indonesia call (081)-1334-183.

Destitution: Destitute Americans outside of the U.S. are generally unable to receive U.S. welfare benefits. Congress appropriates no funds to pay for the living or travel expenses of destitute Americans who are abroad. We refer inquirers to low- or no-cost help from local authorities, and contact U.S. relatives or friends to get funds transferred for subsistence and repatriation.

Emergency Funds: In emergency situations only, if you wish, money may be sent through the Consulate. The most secure way is by establishing a Department of State trust fund. This service is available only to U.S. Citizens on an emergency basis. Through this, depositors establish a trust account in a recipient's name in order to send funds overseas. Upon receipt of these funds, the Department authorizes disbursement to the recipient to the appropriate U.S. Consulate. OCS Trust takes approximately one working day and funds are disbursed in local currency. The State Department has a $30  processing fee for this service. The forwarding of funds will be delayed if the sender fails to provide the recipient's overseas location. There are several options to make these arrangements. Please see the Department of State's website for information on how to send an urgent wire transfer to a U.S. citizen abroad.

Judicial assistance and depositions: Indonesia-specific information concerning legal matters, depositions, service of papers or collection of evidence is at Judicial Assistance. Consular officers cannot offer legal advice, serve papers or arrange depositions. There are no deposition facilities in the consulate. Surabaya's consular officers can administer an oath at a nearby deposition site that you have arranged. Advance planning is essential, especially for government agencies or interests, or compulsion of testimony, which may require the Indonesian Government's prior approval. U.S. government officials must first contact the Departments of State and Justice, Washington D.C., as well as their own agency headquarters.

Medical Providers & Clinics: See list of medical providers.  We assume no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, any medical providers or clinics. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department of State or the U.S. Consulate.

Medicare: Medicare benefits are unavailable outside the United States. For information about Medicare see Social Security and Medicare.

Notarials and Authentications: See our information on notarial services.

Selective Service: All male U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents aged 18 to 26 years old must register at Selective Service System Registration.

Social Security: Questions regarding Social Security should be directed to the Social Security Administration in Manila, Philippines: Social Security Administration, U.S. Embassy Manila, 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Manila 0930 Philippines or FPO AP 96515 USA. phone: +63-2-301-2000 extension 5 then extension 2, fax: +63-2 522-1514, email:, website:

Taxes: Americans with earned or unearned incomes above certain levels, sourced from anywhere, and foreigners with U.S.-sourced income, may have U.S. federal and state tax obligations. Learn about federal taxes and taxpayer identification numbers at the IRS website.  Please see U.S. Treasury Financial Management Service for exchange rates for tax purposes.

U.S. police records: The FBI maintains a central U.S. criminal history database. To obtain your police record, please see FBI website. We have no fingerprint facility. Please obtain fingerprints from a local police authority.
Back to top

Veterans Affairs: Please see U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or contact VA Regional Office, VA Foreign Claims, 1000 Liberty Ave, Pittsburgh PA 15222; ph: 412-395-6272, fax:412-395-6078, email: VAVBAPIT/RO/Embassy@VBA.VA.GOV.