Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Voting Information News


On Tuesday, September 1, 2009, there will be a special primary election in the 10th Congressional District of California to determine the political parties’ candidates to appear on the ballot for a special general election to be held on Tuesday, November 3, 2009, to fill the seat vacated by Representative Ellen O. Tauscher. If one candidate receives a majority of the votes (50% + 1) in the special primary election, no special general election will be held. To determine if your legal residence is in the 10th Congressional District, click on and then on "United States House of Representatives."

Voting Assistance Officers (VAOs) should contact those citizens who are California voters and inform them of this news release and assist them in requesting and returning their absentee ballot.


For September 1, 2009 Primary-

Absentee Voter Registration: August 17, 2009

Ballot Request for Registered Voters: August 25, 2009

Ballot Return: September 1, 2009

For November 3, 2009 General-

Absentee Voter Registration: October 19, 2009

Ballot Request for Registered Voter: October 27, 2009

Ballot Return: November 3, 2009


All members of the U.S. Uniformed Services, their family members and citizens residing outside the U.S. who are California residents within the 10th District must request a ballot for this special election by completing and submitting a registration and ballot request, Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), SF-76, by August 17, 2009, if they have not done so already in calendar year 2009. The online version of the FPCA is available from the FVAP at . The FPCA may be submitted by fax or email in addition to regular mail. County Election Office information is available at .

Your county elections official must receive the request for an absentee ballot not later than Tuesday, August 25, 2009.

Voters who are California residents within the 10th District, who requested and received a ballot for the Federal General Election on November 4, 2008, will automatically receive a special election ballot, and need not take any further action unless their mailing address has changed.

California law allows members of the U.S. Uniformed Services and their family members to send the FPCA for registration and ballot request by fax. After faxing, submit the original FPCA by mail. The faxed FPCA must include a Transmittal Cover Sheet, which may be found at . If you are unable to get normal mail delivery, use the California State Special Absentee Voter Ballot. It is available up to 60 days before the election to any voter unable to vote in the regular absentee voting process due to military or other contingencies. To request it, write: "I cannot vote an absentee ballot during the normal absentee voting period due to military or other contingencies that preclude normal mail delivery. [Specify reason(s).] I request a special absentee ballot." Or contact your County Election Office. 

You can fax directly to your local elections office. Fax numbers can be found at:

or by using the following toll-free fax numbers through FVAP for the U.S. and Canada:

1-800-368-8683, (703) 693-5527 or DSN 223-5527 (military). At , there is a list of additional toll-free fax numbers from overseas countries.

To ensure delivery by the deadline, MPSA recommends military voters putting your ballot in the mail by August 17, 2009 for OEF/OIF locations and August 22, 2009 for other overseas locations. Overseas citizens should return their ballot as soon as possible to allow adequate transit time.


California allows overseas Uniformed Service Members and overseas citizens to return ballots by mail or fax. If returning the marked ballot by fax, you must complete and sign the Transmittal Cover Sheet found including the acknowledgement that they are waiving their right to cast their ballots secretly at . Your ballot will be counted if it is returned by close of polls (8:00 p.m. PST) on September 1, 2009.


State specific information on your precinct, candidates, elections, and voting is available at the California Secretary of State’s website at: .

The FVAP can be contacted via 1-800-438-8683. Citizens may reach the FVAP toll-free from 67 countries using the toll-free numbers listed on the FVAP website, . Questions may be referred to the Director, Federal Voting Assistance Program, Department of Defense, 1155 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-1155 or: . Visit the FVAP website at .