Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA), the right to vote can be exercised by United States citizens in every corner of the world. Generally, all U.S. citizens 18 years or older who are residing outside the United States during an election period are eligible to vote absentee in any election for Federal office (this includes Presidential elections and the elections of Senators and Representatives).

The official U.S. Government website for overseas absentee voting assistance is the Federal Voting Assistance Program, which offers extensive information about absentee voting, including on line versions of Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form (FPCA) and Federal Write-in Absentee Ballots (FWAB), state-specific instructions, links to state and local officials and much more.  This site is continually updated and has the most current information regarding deadlines and voting requirements for each state.

In addition, the Department of State’s website at Absentee Voting for U.S. Citizens Abroad provides updated information on absentee voting for Americans living abroad.

If you have any questions please contact our Voting Assistant Officer (VAO) at

Frequently Asked Questions about Voting (PDF 180.6 KB)

Overseas voter assistance is provided by the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

The procedures and deadlines to vote absentee vary from state to state. However, the same document - the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) - is accepted by all states and territories as an application for both registration and for an absentee ballot.   The FPCA can be obtained at the Consulate or online at the Federal Voting Assistance Program.